Labels

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Confessions of a Jeevansaathi Finder

I am writing this because these days marriage is on my mind, there, I said it,so move on already :)

->These days, I understand why people choose to get married. Surprisingly, I can see a point when everyone around me expresses their concerns about my impending matrimonial plans. My best buddies who are married now have ready tips to give to find just the right girl. I listen to their advice carefully and sometimes implement it as well.

->The FB updates on marriage, honeymoon pics do affect me. Deeply. Period.

->I am more active on Jeevansathi.com than on facebook or twitter.

->I think a little less of myself for registering on a website to find a soulmate.


->I am confused about how to write my profile details, should I present myself as the nice, stable, well educated guy that the parents will like or should I go for the cool guy write up that the girls will like. My current profile write up is the first kind in case you were wondering.


->My height on my profile page is more than my actual height (but then so is my weight :P)

->I am keeping a french goatee only so that I look old (or maybe better) enough for marriage.

->Though by this time one should get wiser, I am still looking for love as a reason to get married. I dread marrying someone for "practical" reasons.

->I still have no clue about the kind of person I would want to marry. To act my age, I do rattle off few "politically correct" criteria to others when they ask .Deep down I am completely sold on that marrying your soulmate bullshit :)

->I can now relate to the quote "No woman likes to be loved only for her beauty and no man likes to be loved only for his salary".

->I think less of people who send me horoscope request even before talking to me.

->I find it uncomfortable talking to 3-4 girls at a time about a marriage, it seems unethical, but then this maybe nothing but my MBA talking.

->I find it difficult to tell a girl that I don't like her enough to continue talking so I simply stop calling and hope that she gets the hint. Manning up and telling the truth is difficult, I have tried it once but it really doesn't help anyone.I make up for this chicken act by getting the hint myself soon enough.

->I think the truly regressive nature of our society reveals itself during marriage discussions.

->I have a feeling that eventually I will have to take this decision through a leap of faith and not through my inner voice as I would like to.

->I think that spending lavishly on marriage ceremony is a criminal waste. However, I doubt that I will be able to convince all the "stakeholders" (including the girl) to have a simple and most importantly happy wedding, which Indian marriages seldom are. I have a feeling that I will be judged as rigid, radical and someone with no respect for traditions. Those who disagree with my unhappy marriage comment, please don't judge a wedding by its facebook pics.

->Most of girls I meet are modern enough to raise their voice against dowry, however I am yet to see someone who is modern enough to understand that a dream wedding ceremony (and accompanying expenses) is not our parents' duty or obligation.

All being said, I appreciate everyone on these websites on their own, for taking the chance to find the one they want to spend the rest of their lives with.It is a total chaos with so many people having so many whims and fancies of their own. It takes some courage to put your heart out knowing that it may be kicked around. I know it is not easy being judged for your looks, height, weight, caste, age, educational qualification, salary by some random person.So kudos to these soldiers of fortune for marching on to build a future of their own. You incorrigible bastards, your persistence in this messed up world of online matrimony tells me that there is still enough hope in this world.

Stay Beautiful
Amitabh

No comments:

Post a Comment